Home | Travel Agents | Contact Us


clubHIW for Guests
Can we serve you better?
About Off Island Suppliers
Meet Your Planners
Legal Requirements
How To Book
About HIW
About Hamilton Island
Contact Us
How To Make A Payment

Request more Information
View wedding photos
Need a Form
Featured Weddings

Can't make it
Never mind, click here to send a congratulations message or gift to be passed on to the bride and groom

You Need to Know

Legal Requirements

Hamilton Island Weddings recommends all couples (Domestic and International) contact their local authorities or marriage officiator to check on any special legal requirements or legislation that may apply to them.  Hamilton Island Weddings and its staff are not authorised or correctly trained to provide detailed information regarding your legal requirements or obligations. 

The following information is supplied as a guide only and should not be relied upon under any circumstances.

All couples are required by Australian law to submit a Notice of Intended Marriage form (4 pages) to their marriage officiator at least one month and one day prior to their wedding date.  This form may be obtained from your marriage officiator, from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Office or click here to download the form in PDF format from the relevant Australian Government Website.

Once you have downloaded the Notice of Intended Marriage form you need to have it signed in the presence of an authorised person before sending it to your marriage officiator.

Signing the Notice of Intended Marriage Form

The Notice of Intended Marriage form must be signed in the presence of any of the following:

(a) if a party signs the notice in Australia - an authorized celebrant, a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, a justice of the peace, a barrister or solicitor, a legally qualified medical practitioner, or a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a State or Territory;

(b) if a party signs the notice outside Australia - an Australian Diplomatic Officer, an Australian Consular Officer, an employee of the Commonwealth authorized under paragraph 3 (c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorized under paragraph 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955 or a notary public.

Please ensure you download and print all 4 pages of the Notice of Intended Marriage form.

Other Documents Required

Other documents required are Original Birth Certificates, Passports (if you are an international guest) and a Divorce Decree (if applicable).

More Information

For further information on your legal requirements please visit the Queensland Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages website or contact your Marriage Officiator. 

Overseas Clients should contact their nearest Australian Embassy.

If you require any further assistance, please dont hesitate to contact your wedding consultant.

Download a Notice of Intended Marriage form

I just wanted to take the time and thank you for our fairytale wedding.  We both had a fantastic day & we will never forget it.
Thank you!

Read more testimonials Read More


Website Design and development by Fuse Digital, Sydney © Hamilton Island Weddings 2012 | Privacy & Disclaimer | Print this page | Send to a Friend | Contact Us